Welcome to Victoria Club Tread!
Before becoming a member...
- Join us for three one-day outdoor events before paying any membership fee*. Simply click on Schedule to review our list of upcoming outdoor events. There you will find information about each event's level of difficulty, for hikes for example, on a scale of one to four+ ranging from easy to strenuous (click on the Rating System link on the schedule page for more information). There are also links to our more popular trails giving detailed information about the trail itself such as elevation, access points and trail conditions. Select an outdoor event NOT designated as "members only" that is appropriate for your abilities and experience.
- Ensure you have the proper equipment. If you are attending a hike, sturdy hiking boots are required. Also recommended for hiking are the 10 essential items for your daypack: a compass or GPS unit, extra clothing, extra food and water (bring your own snack, lunch and beverages), First-aid kit, headlamp or flashlight (with extra batteries), Knife or multi-tool, map (in a watertight case), matches (storm proof, or in a watertight container) and fire-starter, space blanket, sunglasses, sunscreen and a whistle. Other types of events may have different requirements and recommendations. If you are in doubt about what to take with you, check with the event coordinator.
- Sign up for an outdoor event. Phone the event coordinator a few days in advance (or by the booking deadline if noted in the schedule). Please note that our hike coordinators are strictly volunteers and there is no requirement that they possess any skills such as those for first aid, survival, etc. They will register you and give you information about the event and where to meet. Most of our events meet in the lower parking lot behind the Saanich Municipal Hall at 770 Vernon and carpooling is an option if you wish to reduce your carbon footprint and share transportation costs. Coordinators may also ask you about your abilities and they have the right to limit the number of participants and to set guidelines for smoking, consumption of alcohol, participation of children and pets, and minimum fitness level for the activity. It is the responsibility of each participant to make the trip coordinator aware of any health problems which may be of concern. When you arrive at the meeting place, you will be required to sign a liability waiver.
Joining is Easy...you've completed three events, and you can't wait to join!
- Print off and complete the linked application form.
- Mail it, along with the annual membership fee (reduced after September 1, renewable every January 1), to our Membership Coordinator at the address noted on the application form.
As a new member...
- Make new friends - try out our many social events and "clublets" such as Club Fed or Club Read
- Go on a backpacking or car camping trip
- Learn more about Victoria Club Tread and members' travels - come to our quarterly planning meetings (listed on the schedule)
- Give back - participate in our activities as a member of the Protect Our Parks Coalition, or join our trail restoration hikes
- Get involved - write a story for our newsletter, start coordinating your own events, or volunteer to assist with social events
*This policy may be waived if you are a member of another hiking club and you know a Club Tread member who can recommend you.